Obtaining your International Drivers License

If I have one word of advice it’s this; research how to get a driver’s license when you move overseas and research it well. I was foolish when I moved overseas and thought I was under a reciprocal program with Germany and America. Yes, I was in fact qualified for this program but only for one year. I was frankly lazy and did not do my expat homework. When I had a small accident, I was in big trouble for driving without a license. 

You can obtain an International Driving Permit to be on the safe side. The key word is permit, it is just permission to drive in a number of countries. Furthermore, it is only good for one year. Check the regulations of the country you are moving to. Below are some websites I found to help from different countries.

America  http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html  or AATA http://aataidp.com/

Australia https://www.mynrma.com.au/holidays/travel-insurance-and-permits/international-driving-permits

Canada https://www.caa.ca/

UK https://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-driving-permit

South Africa https://www.aa.co.za/productsmembership/international-driving-permit

Some countries such as Germany and France allow participating countries to drive for one year without exchanging your license. But please research all rules and expiration dates and do not take any chances with exceeding those dates. If you have an EU driving license you may have better luck and never need to trade licenses as long as you meet certain qualifications.

Photo courtesy of Pexels.com